Artists statement
What do you imagine when you think of freedom? Birds? Maybe butterflies? Something that flys right? Well for this project I decided to interpret butterflies as a symbolism of feeling free and created a multimedia art piece symbolizing texture and balance. Getting my motivation from my peers and mostly from Pinterest, I came up with an idea to do the background a painting of dandelions making them also look like they were blowing away to create movement. For the foreground I decided to do origami butterflies.
Looking up the definitions and examples of texture and balance I had a rough time coming up with ideas on how to incorporate these two techniques to combine a finished art piece. The word texture has a lot of definitions but for me it meant, not making the surface of a art piece smooth, but something that you can visually feel without necessarily touching it. My principal of design was balance which means symmetrical and asymmetrical. Symmetrical means the visual weight of the design is mostly equal in the art. Asymmetrical means the visual weight of the design is imbalanced in the piece. Having those two definitions already in my brain I had to imagine how I wanted my art piece to end up looking like.
I decided to add balance in the way I placed the hot glue balls on opposite ends of the canvas and painting one corner blue to blend with the sky and the other corner green to blend in with the grass. I did that because since it’s on each corner of the canvas it looks symmetrically balanced and I also thought it had a little texture to it because it’s something 3-D in a 2-D painting. I added texture to the butterfly wings by gluing on some glitter on them and making different patterns on each butterfly. Adding the glitter to the wings makes a cool effect to look at because the little glitters shine when you move them around. You can also see if you look closely that they look rough on the butterflies because some of the glitters are pointy. I also think the colors I picked for the butterflies makes everything else stand out more. It gives you a feeling of peace and it's doesn't take you in different directions like too much is going on in the art. Texture, balance, motion, or any other kind of principle/element of design brings any art to life because it gives you a different feeling to the art work than just a simple coloring, which is what I tried to convey in my art piece for this unit.
-Jennifer Lucio

No comments:
Post a Comment